Baked Mediterranean Peppers
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 30-35 min
- Red bell pepper (1)
- Roma tomato (1)
- Pesto (15 g, 1 tbsp)
- Olive Oil (1 tsp)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut pepper lengthwise in half and remove seeds. Either brush or drizzle olive oil over the inside and outside of the pepper.
- Dice tomato into pieces small enough to fit inside the pepper.
- Obtain 2 whole cloves of garlic.
- Add diced tomato chunks to the inside of the peppers and add one garlic clove inside each pepper half. Season as desired.
- Place on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for ~30 min.
- Remove the garlic cloves and top with pesto.
They secret to this recipe lies in the garlic. In the oven, the garlic flavor melts into the pepper’s flesh without adding the fiber that causes IBS symptoms like bloating and cramping.
This is a great side to have alongside a main course, best served with seasoned chicken breast or grilled salmon.
It can also be scaled up as part of a meal prep (which is what I end up doing with these most of the time).
To add to the fat count:
- Add more pesto
- Top off with some pine nuts (you can dry roast them in a pan while the peppers are in the oven to make them extra flavorful)
With a tbsp of pine nuts on top, the macros become: 12C/4P/17F (210 cal)
To subtract from the fat count:
- Reduce the amount of pesto you add
- Mist the peppers with olive oil rather than drizzling a tsp on top.
Without a mist of oil rather than using the full amount, the macros become: 10C/3P/7F (110 cal)